The 17th Annual General Meeting for the TBCSA and TOMSA took place on Tuesday, 6th of August 2013 at the Da Vinci Hotel and Suites in Sandton, Johannesburg.
TBCSA AGM: CLOSED SESSION
The TBCSA Annual General Meeting was led by the Board Chairman, Mr. Mavuso Msimang with the support of the CEO. The meeting commenced with the Board Chairman sharing his view on the past year under review. This was followed by the CEOs report, as per the 2012 Annual Report. Key highlights in the CEO’s report included:
- Hosting of HICA and the inaugural South African Travel and Tourism Industry Conference, an extension of the close working relationship particularly amongst sector associations through the CEOs Forum.
- Industry’s growing confidence in the Tourism Business Index as a credible industry performance measure
- Growth in association membership with the addition of AASA and PHASA affiliating to the TBCSA
- TOMSA’s growth in levy collection in the 2012 financial period
Ms Ramawela went on to update members on the latest initiative aimed at creating a platform for engagement on how the destination is being promoted. She informed members that a Marketing Advisory Board has been set up, comprising of members of the TBCSA and TOMSA Boards and SAT’s executive management. The first meeting is scheduled to take place at the end of August where Indaba and the new domestic tourism campaign will be the first key topics of discussion.
Membership and the 2012 Annual Financial Statements
The audit statements noted the tax exemption issue as a matter of emphasis and members were informed that contingency plans are in place in this regard. Members were informed of the meeting with the attorneys on the issue and it was agreed to have this issue resolved by the end of the year. The 2012 Annual Financial Statements were adopted and it was agreed for Tank Loubser to remain as auditors for the 2013 financial year.
The list of members in good standing, as in the annual report was confirmed and the meeting approved the motion to retain the current membership fee structure for 2014, although the CEO mentioned that in the new financial year management will embark on a process of reviewing the membership categories.
Election of Directors
The TBCSA Board comprises of 24 members, which include the Board Chairman and Deputy, the TOMSA Board Chairman and representatives from corporate members and sector associations. The CEO emphasised that a seat in the TBCSA Board was not linked to an individual but that the individual would be representing their respective organisation. The following members were elected into the Board:
1. Mr. Wiza Nyondo First National Bank
2. Mr. John Lee Sun International
3. Mr. Glenn Phillips SANParks
4. Mr. Jerry Mabena Thebe Tourism
5. Dr. Salifou Siddo TEP
6. Ms Jennifer Seif FTT
7. Mr. Kobus Tait Forever Resorts
8. Mr. David Frost SATSA
9. Mr. Eddy Khoza FEDHASA
10. Ms. Lorin Bowen SACCI
11. Mr. Chris Zweigenthal AASA
12 Mr. Otto de Vries ASATA
13. Ms. Sue Gannon EXSA
14. Mr. Marc Corcoren SAVRALA
15. Mr. Gavin Eyre SAYTC
16. Ms. Caroline Ungersboch NAA-SA
17. Ms. Melanie Hatjigiannakis VOASA
18. Mr. Franco Jordaan (TOMSA Chairman) Court Classique Hotels
19. Mr. Clifford Ross City Lodge Hotels
20. Mr. Lance Smith AVIS
21. Mr. Ross Kata Expedia Africa
Mr. Mavuso Msimang will retain his position as Board Chairman and a new deputy chairman will be elected at the next Board Meeting on September 17th.